Friday, October 12, 2012

Breast Cancer Awareness and My Story

As you all know October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and I wanted to take a moment to remind you all how important it is to to pay special attention to your breast, and generally your health period. Far too many times, Breast Cancer goes without being detected until its too late.

A few months ago, I had a scare with Breast Cancer and although it turned out not to be cancerous, I was scared out of my mind. Yes, I'm 25 (at the time I was 24) and these things are not suppose to happen to young ladies as myself, but it does! Breast Cancer knows no age nor sex nor race. Imagine walking around with a lump in your breast that you knew about and your doctor at the time felt during an annual check up and did nor said anything about it, to see a new doctor that raised a red flag about it. So much so, that less than a week later, you was in a room getting ready to have a mammogram and a biopsy. My lump turned out to be a Granular Cell Tumor. Although these types of tumors are not harmful nor cancerous, it was removed a few days later.

I said all of this because you never know. Listen to your body and if your doctor doesn't seem phased about something, get a second or even a third opinion. You only have one life and one body, and you should take care of it as best as you can.

To find out more about Breast Cancer, visit Cancer.org's Breast Cancer page and to find out more about Granular Cell Tumors, visit here.

Ways in which you can join the fight and show your support to help find a cure Breast Cancer is by:

No comments:

Post a Comment